22 June 2008

Small talk

I don't understand this whole concept of small talk. It is mostly used (I understand) when people don't know each other that well, and just have to talk to each other.

I can't do it. I just can't. What to talk about with people when you don't know them? Actually, I dont even find the need to do it. When there are a bunch of girls sitting, the topic mostly revolves around guys, and clothes. If it is a bunch of guys, they talk about girls or some of sport. Why can't we all have more intelligent conversation? Why does it have to be the same old boring stuff always. And if people are not talking about what I have already said, people will make fun of others. and then laugh. Call someone fat. Or show that some guy has a mole in his face. It is not funny, people. Get a life!

So what is this intelligent conversation? Books? Music? Cartoons? Movies? Politics? What!! The thing why this wont work is because everybody cannot talk about books. Not all read them. Not all follow politics either. So - talk about the weather!

But what is the point of talking to someone when you know you have nothing in common, and that all you will be talking to each other is about the weather?!

PS. I know. I just wrote what was in my head. Lots of confused thoughts. Needed to write it down to get thinking properly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no rules when it comes to smalltalk. That's the beauty of it. You can steer the conversation in any direction you want. If the other person doesn't reciprocate or doesn't know much about the topic, so be it! I've made many friends because of smalltalk and most of those were intelligent conversations. It all depends on the people involved. So choose somebody who you think can talk well about varied subjects and you can make it work.

Wow! I hope I don't sound like I'm giving a sermon :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sure can write intelligent stuff off the top of your head !!

Freeze said...

raj! I get your point - but how can you choose someone to talk with unless you know something about the person?

No, no - not a sermon! :)

green, yeah man. I can. I am intelligent, you see?

I am so intelligent that I can totally see the sarcasm in that! Thanks!