16 June 2006

Savandurga

At 11:30 Wednesday night I got a message saying “how about going to savandurga tomorrow?” Without even knowing anything about the place, I said, “sure, I’ll come.” Then I got a reply telling me to be in college by 8:30 the next morning.

I was thinking what could this place be, so I messaged another friend who was gonna come to the place, “hey what kind of a place is savandurga.” She said, “just a small hilly area”. So I thought fine, it will be fun.

So the next morning (yesterday) I got up early, and reached college at 8:30. Sharp. And why was I not surprised not to see anyone else there! The next person to arrive came at 8:50. And slowly everyone started coming. By the time the last person arrived and we decided to leave, it was 10. Which was really late.

We had decided to go by bikes. On the way we stopped to take some food from a hotel. After taking all the food and water we went on. The road was ok, can’t really expect good roads. But the scenery was really beautiful.

We reached savandurga at 12:30. And what do I see? A small hilly area? Hell no!! It was like this huge mountain when I saw it. Gosh, it looked so huge. And we were supposed to climb that!

When I saw it, I got scared, thinking there is no way I could climb all the way.

So we started climbing it at 12:45. After 15 minutes I had enough. I was already out of breath, and my legs had started aching. After all, it had been ages since I even walked for more than 2 kms at a time. So I just sat at the rock, and told the others to go, and told them that I’ll take my own sweet time in climbing up.

I actually was happy to have just climbed so far. I would not have minded sitting there until they all climbed up and came back down.

But do they allow me to do what I want? NO! My friends were all encouraging me, and stuff. They were telling me that I had already climbed half (which was not true), and just half of the rock is still left to climb. So anyway, took 5 minutes of break, and started again. And after 15 minutes, again I had to just sit. My legs would not carry me anymore.

The rest of them were already far ahead. Just 5 of us who were slow in climbing were together. We were encouraging each other to climb ahead. We went on, slowly. Half way through, there were remnants of a fort. Nothing was there, just the wall. Must have been a lookout at that time. The view from there was just amazing. The whole area was visible. We could make out where Bangalore was even though we were 60 kms away from it. There was also some river flowing.

At this point of time, 3 of us had enough. I really could not even stand. My calf muscles were aching. We just sat there for some 10 minutes. I closed my eyes, and everything was just so dark. I was so tired that I could just sleep there. It was so hot; the sun was beating right above us. Damn. So I asked my friend who was with us, and who had already climbed this before if we three could just stay here and the rest could climb up. He said that the return way was not this, and there is another easier way to go down, and that would be the way to go down. So we had to climb up.

We were so lost, that we probably were not even thinking right. One of my friend said,” I wish I had powers like Spiderman, then I could just climb so easily.” So I said,” when you are wishing for something, you may as well wish to be Superman, then you could just fly all the way. Why even make an effort?” Blah!

After this we were taking breaks every ten minutes or so. Finished all the water that we had. And finally after 2 hours, we reached the peak. And we got to know that the others had already reached there an hour ago. We then realized how slow we really were. We had our lunch there, looked around the place. The view was fantastic. You would think I could have pictures, but everyone seemed to have forgotten their cameras. So we just took a few pictures from the camera phones. Obviously its not gonna be very clear, but something is better than nothing.

After half an hour, we started the way back down, and I find out that the way down is the same as we climbed up. I looked at that guy and started cursing him. And he said,” If I had told you that it was the same way, you would never had climbed up.”

So true. Glad he told that lie though. I would not have got the satisfaction of climbing up otherwise.

There was this dog on the peak. It would go ahead of us. Wait there, and when everyone crossed the dog, it would go even more ahead and wait for us there. It was really funny. One girl who was really scared of dogs kept telling the dog “Go. Go”. But the dog would just not go. It was showing us the way down!

So we reached the bottom in an hour. We could go down without any breaks, coz it is not as tiring as climbing up. After reaching down, we sat there in a sort of bench, and brought some cool drinks and drank that. We sat there for half an hour or so. And then it was time to leave.

While coming back, I realized that I actually made it. I thought there was no way I could climb it, but I did. And I was happy. Totally enjoyed on the way back. The weather was also cool coz it had become evening.


I went back home at 8:30, and I just slept, without dinner. I was so tired; I didn’t know what was happening around me. Today morning I got up at 8. So it was almost 12 hours of sleep!! And right now, I don’t want to move. Just want to be sitting in one place. My whole body is in pain. Even my nails are aching! (Don't ask me how I typed this.)

But will I climb something like that again? I have no clue, but I probably will. Even though the going was tough, after reaching the peak, it was just pure bliss.

22 comments:

Abhinav said...

hmm nice outing....do post the pics

greensatya said...

How did you type this ? :P

So the joy of achieving something which you thought was impossible. Bravo !

And by bike you mean cycle? You cycled before climbing ?

Good that you had fun.

Freeze said...

[abhinav]
i dont have the pics yet. my phone does not have a camera.

[greensatya]
haha, i knew someone would ask that, so i already told u not to ask.

yeah genius, i cycled SIXTY kms! hehe. hahaha.
anyway, if u still dint get it, by bike, i mean bike. which has a motor. which runs on petrol.

Raj said...

I had a friend just like u on my first trek and we didnt allow her to sit down in the middle of the hill either. Even I felt like i was out of breath but I challenged myself and the view from the top always makes up for the pain.

And cut greensatya some slack. I mean he has been out of the country for a while. He probably forgot that all 2 wheelers in india are called bikes and bicycles are called "cycles". :D

Akanksha said...

cool.. i dnt dislike walkin much as long as i have a very comfortable pair of sneakers :D

but i am not much of a nature person so .. i just like rains an coolbreeze and smtimes a water body in which u can dip ur feet and munch goodies
he he mayb i am a lil bit of a noture person and didnt kno it

Freeze said...

[raj]
i did sit down though. the rock was too steep. thats why it was so tiring. hehe... yeah the view from the top was great. i kept telling myself that the view halfway was good enough for me :P

And cut greensatya some slack.
yeah, poor satya :P

[akanksha]
it was not walking yaar, it was climbing!!!

hehe.. yeah everyone likes some part or the other in nature,

greensatya said...

Even when I was in India I thought there were terms like motorbikes, motorcyles, scooters and scooterrtes.
Bike was always reserved for thing which has two wheels and has to be pedalled and needs no fuel.

Freeze said...

[greensatya]
even though you thought "there were terms like motorbikes, motorcyles, scooters and scooterrtes.", here you should have known that i meant motorbike. coz its not possible to cycle 60 kms!...

even if it is possible to cycle 60 kms, that would take forever. so..

Anonymous said...

that dog is still there? :p

Freeze said...

[anon]
yup.. still there.

Koi Pahailee said...

sometimes while going through one of your long posts like these, i wonder how do u manage to write in such great detail? :)

Freeze said...

[kp]
i just love writing. thats y :)

Expression ! said...

Once I went to a same place like you went.It is in Haridwar.
I felt the same way you felt ,but after reaching at the destination,all the pain was gone for a while,and felt like all the affort was worth it.
Though we had the option of trolley.

Koi Pahailee said...

so when u reached right till the top...what was the view like? did it make u feel that all the climbing was worth it?
do share the photos if any

Abhinav said...

hey where are the pics????

Anonymous said...

Is this blog dead ? or blogger left it for good ?

Freeze said...

I dont think anybody reads this anymore, bue anyways..

[sharda]
If I had the option of a trolley, I would have probably taken that.
anyway, this was fun.. I can say NOW that it was fun/ If I had to answer this that day, my answer would be different.

[KP]
View-> AWESOME!
unfortunately, I dont have the photos yet.

[Abhinav]
NO idea!!!
ugh...

[anon]
yeah, the blog is dead. and so the blogger had to leave it. what will the blogger do with a dead blog, right?

Anonymous said...

Blog became dead due to the blogger. It didn't die on its own. So the blogger should bring it back to life. Duh!!!

XVSA013 said...

was machen sie?

Freeze said...

[anon]
its alive!! Its alive!!
AAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

[mowgli]
I saw that "was machen sie?" means "what do they make?". courtsey google language tools/

but what do they make? what do u mean?

XVSA013 said...

Sorry, Mowgli wanted to ask .."What are you doing?" ...

damn the lang tools ... :-)

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »