10 June 2006

Cops!

So today I was on the road on my two-wheeler, happily riding away, when a cop stood right on my way on the road, and asked me to stop. And so I did. I stopped, and waited for him to ask what he wanted. I mean, there’s no reason to stop me right? So he comes to me after 2 minutes, during which he was catching other unsuspecting people on the road. He says, “Can I see your driving license?” In English! I was so shocked that he was actually speaking to me in English and not Kannada! I said sure, and showed my license. And then he said, “You can go now”! Again, in English!

This was so different from the other experiences that I have had from cops in Bangalore. I’ve been caught three times, for the same reason of showing the license, the emission certificate, and once the guy checked even the insurance. All the three times, the cop was so rude, and so arrogant. They behaved as though I had committed some weird crime and I was getting some punishment for that.

Anyway, this was the 1st time a cop stopped me in almost 3 years. Looks like the cops have something against me or my vehicle, coz I know of friends who have not been stopped ever. And I was stopped four times! Atleast today he was not rude… still waste of my 3 minutes.

Maybe my bike is jinxed. Once I had parked it in the end of parking place. But just before the line that is drawn. The parking guy took a buck from me coz I parked there. I finished my work, and I come and see that my bike is missing. Sigh. I looked around, and no parking guy. He must have run off somewhere. Then some people around that place said that cops came and took my bike. Though I didn’t understand why exactly they took it, coz it was in the parking place, and not outside it. Screwed up people. So I had to go to the police station, pay 300 bucks and get back my bike.

So now we have English-speaking cops. Great.

7 comments:

greensatya said...

Atleast something good is happening in Bangalore.
And it is only in India that they stop to check license. Otherplaces they stop for some other reason and in that process check the license.

And I see that you have referred your Honda as two-wheeler unlike before. :P

Abhinav said...

yup the cops speak in english...yesterday we forgot our way back home from Indiranagar and on a junction we asked for way from a cop and to our surprize he told directions in English...atleast change is happening in Blore

Akanksha said...

i hate cops.. i am very wary of talkin to them..

mayb its bcoz the cops in delhi r lecherous, rude and smtimes behave even worse than the street side romeos coz they kno they can get away with it

Freeze said...

[greensatya]
yeah SOMETHING good. well, they have to check for license because its only the people in India who drive without one. In other places, I guess they drive with license.

And I see that you have referred your Honda as two-wheeler unlike before. :P

good observation.

[abhinav]
yeah.. some change.

[akanksha]
totally know what u mean.

Raj said...

A cop tried to stop me once but I didn't stop. Cos they are such time-wasters.

But ya, I have talked to quite a few traffic cops in Blr and they speak good english and somehow it doesnt suprise me.

Maybe my bike is jinxed

Or may be u r jinxed ;)

Freeze said...

[raj]
yeah time wasters :P

i am jinxed, i just didnt wanna admit it.. hahahaha

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »